Your family is probably like many others these days—pulled in countless directions by educational, social, and recreational obligations. If you’re looking for a way to re-connect with each other, a family night might be exactly what you need.
No matter how young your children are, assigning one night a week for Fun Family Night Ideas gives families a special opportunity to have fun together and create lasting memories.
The general concept of a weekly family night is to spend an evening once a week where the family is together having a meaningful experience together.
In other words, watching the latest installment of a favorite sitcom doesn’t count! Invariably, as soon as you decide to set aside a weekly family night, you will be inundated with conflicts. Have some integrity and be willing to say no more often.
It may be tempting to go to the big game with your friend, but be willing to say thanks, but no thanks. If the soccer team practices at the same time as family night, be willing to find another team or not play. It is important to make sure that your commitment is firm.
Remember the feeling of the children in the movie Hook when their dad (Robin Williams) says, “My word is my bond”? Keep your word and put family first.
Parents, YOU make the difference!
Family Night should be scheduled once a week as the time for recreation, work projects, skits, songs around the piano, games, special refreshments, and family prayers. Choose a night when everyone gathers to enjoy a family activity. Make sure all of you, from the oldest to the youngest, are involved. Each week, a different family member can choose the evening’s theme or activity.
Studies show that families who eat meals together and enjoy activities together are closer. This closeness extends to increased trust and comfort levels, which can help children grow up in a safe and nurturing environment.
Children who grow up in this kind of environment are less likely to become involved in drugs and alcohol use, and they are more comfortable discussing problems with their parents.
I found a Great Sign to get your Family Time Started! Turn the Page and get the Download via BitznGiggles.
Family Night Ideas…….
1. Visit the zoo……
2. Find out about your area’s community center and or/park activities…….
3. Wash the dog. ( A neighbor’s dog if you don’t have one!)
4. Have a family slumber party…….
5. Build a fort……(Use large appliance boxes outside, or pillows and sheets inside.)
6. Get out the family photo album…..
7. Research your family history……
8. Visit the Genealogical library…….
9. Play stick ball……
10. Play hopscotch…….
11. Clean the house together…(Have a pick-up party.)……………..
12. Make a play. Take it to a nursing home…….
13. Fly kites…….
14. Go on a family trip/ historical excursion……
15. Did it snow? Go sledding and make a snowman…….
16. Make a collage out of pictures from old magazines…..
17. Set up a lemonade stand on a warm day……..
18. Shoot hoops together. Play H.O.R.S.E……
19. Draw pictures of members of your family……
20. Tell Stories around a campfire. ( or at the barbecue?)…….
21. Organize a game of capture the flag…..
22. Make miniature boats and float them in some water……
23. Write letters to grandparents or a missionary……
24. Play freeze-tag…….
25. Tell scary stories (With lights out)……
26. Play broom ball…..
27. Go for a hike……..
28. Go for a bike ride together……
29. Go get ice cream and walk around the temple grounds……
30. Learn to play the guitar together…..
31. Listen to classical music, lights off, lying on the floor, and take turns saying what is sounds like……
32. Attend community concerts or listen to a local band……
33. Organize a community clean-up…..
34. Visit the library….
35. Go ice skating or roller skating…..
36. Paint a picture, a mural or a room……
37. Learn how to use a compass…….
38. Organize 72 hour kits…..
39. Learn how to use a compass…..
40. Plant a tree or some flowers…..
41. Learn the metric system…..
42. Learn sign language….
43. Learn the Morse Code…….
44. Go swimming……
45. Go bird watching…..
46. Walk the dog. ( A neighbor’s dog if you don’t have one!)
47. Visit the countryside…..
48. Visit the City. (Maybe on a bus?)
49. Pick berries/ fruit together…..
50. Bake cookies or bread….
51. Take treats to neighbors or friends…..
52. Plant a garden……
53. Join a family choir……
54. Start a family journal……
55. Go to a museum
56. Take a nature hike trail……
57. Have Family Game Night…….
58. Start a family exercise group…..
50. Sing (in the car)….
51. Visit a local bookstore or library…
52. Make crafts together. Give them away…
53. Make Christmas ornaments together…..
54. Write a story together…….
55. Learn how to fold the American Flag (or your country’s flag). Have a patriotic night. Have a flag ceremony.
56. Talk about drugs. Do role-playing.
57. Make a family cook book.
58. Write a story together………
59. Pizza making night– Make the dough from scratch or buy the pre-made pizza bread and let each person make their own little personalized pizzas.
60. Star Gazing – Grab some pillows, jackets and discover the world above you. There are apps you can download to your phone to help you recognize the stars.
61. Laser Tag- I must say this is one of my favorites. It’s so much fun!
Family movie nights are just a bit more structured than simply renting a movie and letting the kids watch it. Remember, the point of a family fun night is to make it a simple, but a special event that involves all the family. Pop popcorn the old-fashioned way (on the stove) and pop in a DVD….. Let everyone in the family have a turn at deciding which movie to watch.
Remember Family Nights can be a lot of FUN!
Here Is Another Idea I Love The Jar …….Make a Family Night Activity Jar! Printable includes 52 activity cards (one for each week of the year) plus blank ones to creat your own! (via CreateCraftLove.com)
(This is a Digital Scrapbooking Software that allows you to create Scrapbooks, Photobooks, Custom Gifts and Printables. It’s pretty easy to use. This program is chock-full of all kinds of goodies and features from backgrounds and picture layouts to tons of embellishments — everything your little creative, little heart desires — If you do get a copy of your own, you won’t regret it!)
Most importantly though, the best way to have a successful Family Night is to have it. The purpose of Family Night is to be (and learn) together as a family and all you have to do to achieve that goal is to simply hold Family Night.
The more regularly you bring your family together for Family Night , the more accustomed they will come to being together, participating in Family Night, and being united as a
SO HOW ABOUT SOME FAMILY NIGHT TREATS!!
Fruity Tuties– Get a bowl of ice-cream and add some of your favorite juice or soda. Enjoy! –
Oreo Pie – It’s easy, you just get chocolate pudding and Oreo’s and whip cream. Crush the Oreo’s up and put them on the bottom of a pan. Then put the pudding on top .then more crushed up Oreos. then put the whip cream on top and spread it out.-
Homemade Ice-cream Sandwiches – Yummy and easy. First make a box of brownies, any kind. Let cool and cut into squares. Take aluminum foil and put one brownie square on it add vanilla ice cream (or any flavor you like) and top with another brownie. Wrap up and put into freezer. Do this with all the brownies. After FHE serve.
Nachos – Put corn chips on a cookie sheet and put on shredded cheese we like the four cheese blend the broil in the oven until the cheese is melted. don’t bake it too long! hard cheese is not very good.
Home Made Oreos – A favorite of my family is a joyous mix. It’s lots of fun to put together as well. Prepare one box of devils food cake. follow the recipe on back on how to prepare it for cookies.
Place the dough/batter on a cookie sheet and cook for app. 10 minutes, (the back of the box should say exactly.) After the cookies are cooked and cooled, spread vanilla frosting on the flat side of each cookie and place to together!!!! ENJOY! –
Orange Julius’ – Put 1 1/2 c. water, 1/2 c. milk, 1/2 c. sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/2 can frozen orange juice concentrate (regular size can), ice cubes (as much as you like, around 2 cups is good) into a blender. Blend until ice is well crushed. We almost always had this with popcorn!
When you have older kids, like teens, most are hard to get motivated. One trick I learned is to show them you mean it, find a bowl or container of some sort and have them all put their extra little things in it. Like for example, any electronic device like cell phones, ect. go into the basket. It works like a charm!
Don’t be discouraged if it takes little time to get your family night started. It’s well worth the effort to start a tradition that strengthens your family bond.
“Because there is no one way to be a perfect parent, but there are a million ways to be a great one.” Kelle Hampton
As President Ezra Taft Benson said about Family Home Evening, “… Like iron links in a chain, this practice will bind a family together, in love, pride, tradition, strength, and loyalty.
****(Have you ever made a Photo Book before? This is the perfect time of the year to do so. All those Pictures of the Special Moments in your Family’s Lives, should all be Captured and Cherished Forever, and a Photo Book is the perfect way to do it.
You can use Blurb to create a family photo book anytime It’s a Bound Book of LOVE to be Cherished for Years to Come.)******
I wish that we had the sort of simple laid back life that afforded us the opportunity to have every night be Family Night. And I will admit that a part of me misses the days when all of my children were small and the evenings after dinner were spent reading a chapter from a book, all of us snuggled together on the couch.
But children have this annoying habit of growing up and having lives of their own, as parents we have to take the time to spend together with them wherever we can get it. Having one special night set aside every week to spend as a family has been transformative for my family.
When you have your teenagers putting in requests for the next Family Night and happily coming home on time, you know that you are doing something right.
Hi there! Thanks for visiting. We’d LOVE for you to hang around!
and/or subscribe by email (which is on the Contact Page above) to be sure you don’t miss an update!
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.
Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.
I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”